The college


History


Kastubagram Rural Institute, an Autonomous college affiliated to Devi AhilyaVishwavidyalaya,was established in 1963 by National Council for Rural Higher Education, Government of India, New Delhi in co-operation with Madhya Pradesh Government and Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust,established by Mahatma Gandhi in the memory of Kasturba Gandhi.

The Institute was affiliated to Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya in 1969 and earned autonomous status in 1987.


Modern higher education instead of ameliorating the rural problems has lured the educated and talented youth towards urban areas, consequently the base for overall development, that is Rural Development has suffered a lot and the very foundation of our civilization and culture has been shaken. With this in mind, the University Education Committee headed by Dr.Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan proposed to the Government of India the establishment of 14 Rural Institutes all over the country from 1956 to 1963. In this spirit a Special Rural Institute for women was established under the patronage of Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust at Kasturbagram, Indore with the joint efforts of Central and Madhya Pradesh State Government on 25 July 1963 for the development and empowerment of Rural women through higher education.

The special feature along with modern conventional higher education in Arts (Social Science) and Home Science is, Extension education, which links education to the society and sensitizes them towards their social duties with this special feature it became the first Autonomous Girl’s College of Madhya Pradesh in 1987.